A delicious festive trimming packed full of flavour to accompany the perfect Christmas turkey.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 461
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 52g
Saturated Fat 19g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 22g
Total Carbohydrates 65g
Dietary Fiber 8g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 75g butter
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g dried figs, chopped into small cubes
- 2 small eating apples
- 250g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 750g sausage meat
- 3tbsp of parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Sea salt and black pepper
- First, heat the butter and rapeseed oil until the butter has melted, and add the shallots. Fry them gently until they are well softened but not browned. Stir in the garlic and season well with sea salt and black pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and place the ingredients in a bowl; leave them to cool.
- Peel the apples, remove the core and cut them into small cubes. Next, mix the figs, apples, breadcrumbs, sage, sausage meat and parsley with the shallots and season again with sea salt and black pepper. Mix in the beaten egg until the mixture is quite firm.
- To prepare the onions for stuffing, peel the outer layers and chop the bottom off, so the surface is flat; the onion should be able to stand. Chop the onion about a third of the way down; this will be used as the 'hat'.
- Hollow the bottom half of the onion and place the stuffing inside. Replace the 'hat' and brush the onion with melted butter before standing them on a baking tray. Place in the oven until the stuffing is cooked thoroughly and the onions are golden brown in colour.
- Place any remaining stuffing into an ovenproof dish and cook alongside the turkey in the oven.
The Local Kitchen http://localkitchen.tv/
The Oldershaw Group